CATALONIA TRADE & INVESTMENT OFFICE
Are you a company from Germany, Austria or Switzerland considering a new investment? Are you interested in investing in Catalonia? Does your business need connections with the Catalan industrial and Innovation ecosystem?
From the Catalan Government Trade & Investment office in Stuttgart, you get tailor-made information and full support for a smooth, fast and successful set-up of operations in Catalonia from start to finish, or to establish technological cooperation agreements with Catalan companies as well. We also offer personalised assistance to Catalan companies wishing to open in German markets and find new global business opportunities.
Services to German, Austria and Swiss Companies and Institutions
- Qualified support, insight and advice to German companies interested in investing in Catalonia.
- Identifying technological cooperation opportunities in Catalonia.
- Full, practical, up-to-date information on the legal, tax and labor context.
- Introduction to the Catalan industrial, Innovation and start-up ecosystem.
- In-depth information on financing and location possibilities.
- Help with the right steps to get started in Catalonia.
- Ongoing support throughout all the phases of the investment project.
- Promotion of strategic business alliances between German and Catalan companies.
- Search of Catalan technological partners and providers.
- Identification and location of Catalan technology partners for joint R&D and innovation projects.
- Provide instruments of support to foster technological cooperation, such as the Bilateral Grants Program Germany-Catalonia for cooperative R&D projects.
- Establish strategic alliances with Catalan institutions, in order to foster business cooperation.
- Help source suppliers, manufacturing partners or any other local company to fulfill a specific need.
German companies in Catalonia
A number of German companies are already settled in Catalonia. Among them Allianz, Basf, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bosch, Brose, Continental Automotive, DHL, Haribo, Henkel, Kostal, Mahle, Merck, Menshen, Siemens, Würth, Linde, Lidl or Audi-Wolkswagen. Some of them have been assessed by Catalonia Trade & Investment.
- Continental Automotive has a production line in its Rubí factory in order to produce parts for electric motors. The German group recieved support from Catalonia Trade & Investment.
- Henkel invested to build two new R&D laboratories and a spin-off, Afinitica, which is mainly engaged in researching new materials and concepts to create adhesive products. Infrastructures and talent and qualified researchers played a key role in Henkel’s decision.
- Basf has its Spanish headquarters in Barcelona and manufactures liquid fungicides for sustainable agriculture in Tarragona. Other production centers include the Zona Franca (Barcelona’s industrial area), L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, Castellbisbal and Rubí.
Technological Cooperation Projects
There is a long tradition of technological cooperation among Catalan and German companies, due to their long industrial cooperation. German industrial enterprises with operative subsidiaries in Catalonia have trusted Catalan cutting edge technological competences and cooperate with local engineers and technology providers for a long time. But also German companies not established in Catalonia develop cooperative R&D projects together with Catalan partners taking benefit of their flexibility and competitive costs paired with high quality and productivity standards.
For bilateral innovation projects done in cooperation between German and Catalan organizations a bilateral financing line was established in 2015 and has been renewed 2016. The European R&D EU project framework, at present Horizon 2020, is also an important source of financing means for bilateral projects. And the program Tecniospring INDUSTRY will finance mobility of experienced Researchers to and from Catalonia to foster international cooperation, including cooperation with Germany.
Some of the bilateral projects that have been supported by our office are:
- Cooperative project carried out by the German company IEG Technology and the Catalan company Hidronit. MICROBIOME is a cooperative project carried out by the German company IEG Technologie GmbH and the Catalan company Hidronit Medioambiente S.L. The objective of the MICROBIOME project is to combine in situ Groundwater Circulation Well (IEG-GCW®) technology with new biostimulants for microbial degradation of chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbon (CAH) contaminated groundwater. The project has been supported by the Bilateral Grants Program Germany-Catalonia (partly funded by FEDER funds).
Our Team in Stuttgart
Mr. Alberto Martín Torras, Director of the Stuttgart Office, graduated from ESADE Business School with a BSc and MSc in Business Administration. He also holds the CEMS Master in International Management from Bocconi University and completed additional programs at the Freie Universität Berlin and the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg. Prior to joining Catalonia Trade & Investment, Mr. Martín Torras was responsible for government relations at Smart City Expo World Congress and held various international business development roles in Latin America and Asia, where he worked as a Trade Advisor for the Economic & Commercial Office of Spain in Mumbai, India.
Catalonia Connects to Germany
Discover Catalonia & Barcelona
Catalonia, Region of the Future
The Financial Times sees Catalonia as the best Southern European Region of the Future in its latest report on the most attractive European locations for future investments. With more than 8,600 international companies in Catalonia, Barcelona comes first in the continent by FDI strategy and policies for attracting investors.