Are you a german company considering a new investment? are you interested in investing in catalonia? does your business need connections with the catalan industrial and economic ecosystem?
from the catalan government trade & investment office in berlin, you get tailor-made information and full support for a smooth, fast and successful set-up of operations in catalonia from start to finish. we also offer personalised assistance to catalan companies wishing to open in german markets and find new global business opportunities.
Services to german companies
- Qualified support, insight and advice to German companies interested in investing in Catalonia.
- Full, practical, up-to-date information on the legal, tax and labor context.
- Introduction to the Catalan industrial and economic ecosystem.
- In-depth information on financing and location possibilities.
- Help with the right steps to get started in Catalonia.
- Ongoing support throughout all the phases of the investment project.
- Promotion of strategic business alliances between German and Catalan companies.
- Identification and location of Catalan technology partners for joint R&D and innovation projects.
- Help source suppliers, manufacturing partners, technology providers or any other local company to fulfill a specific need.
German companies in catalonia
A number of german companies are alredy settled in catalonia. among them allianz, basf, bayer, boehringer ingelheim, bosch, brose, continental automotive, dhl, haribo, henkel, kostal, mahle, merck, menshen, siemens, würth, linde, lidl or audi-wolkswagen. some of them have been assessed by catalonia trade & investment.
- Continental Automotive has a production line in its Rubí factory in order to produce parts for electric motors. The German group recieved support from Catalonia Trade & Investment.
- Henkel invested to build two new laboratories and a spin-off, Afinitica, which is mainly engaged in researching new materials and concepts to create adhesive products. Infrastructures and talent and qualified researchers played a key role in Henkel’s decision.
- Basf has its Spanish headquarters in Barcelona and manufactures liquid fungicides for sustainable agriculture in Tarragona. Other production centers include the Zona Franca (Barcelona’s industrial area), L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, Castellbisbal and Rubí.
Technological Cooperation Projects
There is a long tradition of technological cooperation among Catalan and German companies, due to their long industrial cooperation. German industrial enterprises with operative subsidiaries in Catalonia have trusted Catalan cutting edge technological competences and cooperate with local engineers and technology providers for a long time. But also German companies not established in Catalonia develop cooperative R&D projects together with Catalan partners taking benefit of their flexibility and competitive costs paired with high quality and productivity standards.
For bilateral innovation projects done in cooperation between German and Catalan organizations a bilateral financing line was established 2015 and has been renewed 2016. The European R&D EU projects framework, at present Horizon 2020, is also an important source of financing means for bilateral projects. And the program Tecniospring+ will finance mobility of experienced Researchers to and from Catalonia to foster international cooperation, including cooperation with Germany.
Some of the bilateral projects that have been supported by our office are:
- Cooperative project carried out by the German company IEG Technology and the Catalan company Hidronit. MICROBIOME is a cooperative project carried out by the German company IEG Technologie GmbH and the Catalan company Hidronit Medioambiente S.L. The objective of the MICROBIOME project is to combine in situ Groundwater Circulation Well (IEG-GCW®) technology with new biostimulants for microbial degradation of chlorinated aliphatic hydrocarbon (CAH) contaminated groundwater. The project has been supported by the Bilateral Grants Program Germany-Catalonia (partly funded by FEDER funds).
Our team in berlin
Mr Martí Adroher, director of Berlin office, has a law degree (UPF) in political science and administration (UB) and has a master's degree in international relations from the Freie Universität Berlin (Free University of Berlin). He has worked in the public sector and the private sector. Throughout his career he has specialised in business internationalization, procurement and business development strategies.