The chemical industry is one of the leading sectors within the Catalan and the Spanish economy, with over 3.300 companies and more than 500.000 jobs. Catalonia is the eight chemical manufactured in the world and the fifth in Europe, contributing with 3.1% to the EU sales. The chemical industry showed a growth rate of 29.1% during the period 2009-2012.
- 11% of Catalan industrial turnover is chemical
- 43% of Spanish chemical production takes place in Catalonia
- 51% of Spanish chemical exports are from Catalonia.
Tarragona, one of Europe’s chemical capitals
The petrochemical area of Tarragona, in the South of Catalonia, is considered the leading chemical industry sites in southern Europe and the fourth in Europe. Tarragona produces yearly 20 million tonnes of diverse chemical products and Tarragona port moves 19 million tonnes. This area alone concentrates 0.75% of global chemical output, 25% of Spanish chemical production and a perfect location for new investments in the chemical sector.
ChemMed is the leading chemical cluster in Southern Europe and the Mediterranean. An industrial, logistics, academic and scientific cluster with over 100 chemical companies of all sizes, pooled facilities and services, research and tech centres, links with academia and a privileged logistics infrastructure.
- 100 ChemMed companies
- 13, 000 direct jobs
- 35,000 indirect jobs
- 1,200 Ha and port facilities
- 1/4 of Spanish chemical production
- 1/2 of Spanish plastics production
Not just producing chemicals, showcasing them too
- Expoquimia. The world’s most important International Chemical Industry Exhibition.
- Equiplast. Southern Europe’s most important rubber and plastics event.
- Eurosurfas. The international surface treatment event.
Chemistry for tomorrow
A number of research and academic institutions ensure that Catalonia is today at the forefront of the future of chemistry:
- Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ)
- Chemistry Technology Centre of Catalonia (CTQC)
- Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS- URV)
- Universities of Tarragona (URV) and Barcelona (UAB, UB)