In Catalonia there is a diversified industrial production and availability of suppliers and providers with high quality standards. Around 19% of the new businesses created each year in Spain are based in Catalonia, which is proof of the region’s entrepreneurial spirit. Small and medium sized enterprises are a majority of companies.
The government’s business focused policies support private sector initiatives
Public services benefiting companies include:
- Services to attract and boost productive investments from international companies into Catalonia
- Information for international firms with investment projects on business financing, analysis and prospection in external markets…
- Services to help Catalan companies grow and set up abroad and carry on commercial, productive and technological activities.
- Business matchmaking and search for partners, suppliers, premises, distribution channels, contacts for M&A operations, international tenders…
- Aftercare business services
Some regulatory issues benefit international business in Catalonia
- There is a lower Corporate Tax than in the majority of our neighboring countries (25% from 2016).
- Catalonia offers one of the most attractive tax deduction schemes for R&D&i activities in Europe. (Patent box, up to 59% on R+D, 12% on innovation).
- Expats coming to work in Catalonia are only taxed at a flat rate of 24% (19% if coming from EU, Iceland or Norway) up to € 600,000 (applicable in the tax period of change of residency and for the following five ones).
- Catalonia is a location for international holding companies thanks to its attractive Holding Tax Regime and the largest Tax Treaty network with EU & LATAM & EMEA countries.
- There are employment incentives programmes which result into discounts in social security contributions and grants for job creation
- Visas and residence permits can be obtained via fast-track processes (10 and 20 working days)